What would cause my knee to hurt and cause pain up and down my leg? I injured it this summer. A tight muscle in the hip was the cause then.

Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: It band syndrome

Iliotibial namd syndrome had hip anf knee pain.

In brief: It band syndrome

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Jeffrey Miller
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Hip

Probably bursitis, most common hip problem, but if there is sensory change or pins and needles feelings could be minor nerve injury from injury to a skinnerve in the side of the leg(meralgia paresthetica) or a true disc related nerve pain.
Pressure on the injured thigh area will reproduce meralgia but not a disc problem and both should improve with rest, though a disc problem could be serious.

In brief: Hip

Dr. Jeffrey Miller
Dr. Jeffrey Miller
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine