Do I have to put my insulin in the fridge?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Not once in use

Insulin should be stored in the refrigerator until you start using a pen or vial.
Once in use, a pen or vial can generally be kept at room temperature for up to 14 days (pens) or 28 days (vials). Because there are several different kinds of insulin, check your package insert for more information. Insulin should always be protected from freezing temperatures, or high temperatures (above 80-85f).

In brief: Not once in use

Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. David Sneid
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Until you open

The pen or vial and begin to use it.
After that, keep it out of freezing cold, direct sunlight, or high heat. Most pens and vials will last for about a month if kept in a medicine cabinet or drawer in the bathroom -- then they should be discarded if some unused residual Insulin is still present.

In brief: Until you open

The pen or vial and begin to use it.
Dr. David Sneid
Dr. David Sneid
Dr. Adam Smith