Any meds I can take over the counter for my depression and sleep??

Dr. Patricia Foster

In brief: See your doctor

Unfortunately, there's no quick OTC med fix for depression and sleep difficulty.
Both can be complicated and the result of many factors. You would do well to speak honestly to your pcp for guidance. He/she would know if there were health issues or tests that might be done to properly diagnose. Your pcp would also be able to refer you to a mental health professional which may be helpful. Take care.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Lacresha Hall

In brief: Depends

All of the above answers you received are adequate.
I would first recommend you be evaluated by a professional to determine what type of mood disorder you have. If it has been determined that you have a simple mild depression medications such as St. John's Wort have been helpful. Also, OTC Meds such as Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and melatonin can help for sleep. I would consult your doctor using anything.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Janice Seward
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Yes possibly

Hi Carolyn would depend on the severity of your depression, if you are currently on any medication for depression, and the exact type of sleep problems you are experiencing.
For example, some over the counter sleep aids are best for trouble falling asleep, others for staying asleep. I recommend a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist with a specialty in integrative medicine. Good luck!

In brief: Yes possibly

In brief: A couple

For depression, St John's Wort.
For sleep, Melatonin. Let your doctor know about your choices.

In brief: A couple

For depression, St John's Wort.