After decades of drinking liters of diet soda, why am I still healthy? What should be wrong with me? Cancer? What specifically?

Dr. Sewa Legha
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: More illnesses devel

Most people have good health until they get older than 50 years.
Our body can take a lot of abuse and handle it until you start getting past 45-50 years. So it is high timer that you adopt a healthy life style now. otherwise you pay the price of ill health in your 60-70s. Drink water instead of sodas. Also you can drink some mildly flavored liquids or skimmed milk. Daily veges/fruits are healthy

In brief: More illnesses devel

Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Sewa Legha
Pathology

In brief: You're fine

You drink diet soda for the enjoyment, not the health benefits.
Some folks are allergic to them; most are not. Most (not all) of my colleagues here will probably agree that the "scare stories" about aspartame are fabrications -- the principal author of the phony e-mails has never been identified in real life. Stop worrying, but why not drink tap water instead? It's even safer, and a lot cheaper.

In brief: You're fine

Dr. Jean Wagner
Totally agree about the scare tactics and the advice, Dr. Friedlander. Many long term studies have been done on aspertame and sucralose and they are generally safe in moderation. Enjoy your diet soda but alternate with good old tap water to stay hydrated!
Dr. Christine Hom

In brief: Humans are tough

Humans are built to survive.
So people lived in cities with no sanitation, drove cars spewing lead into the air, drank unfiltered water, drank hard liquor and smoked cigars. And survived decades. With healthier habits, people are living longer. Healthy living = moderation in all things. Try some seltzer (with or without flavoring), water with a splash of lemon or lime and reduce stress.

In brief: Humans are tough

Humans are built to survive.
Dr. Christine Hom
Dr. Christine Hom
Dr. William Forsythe