I was on ambien for chronic insomnia for five years. Loved it. Stopped working. Is there any med that is just as good? A hypnotic Preferably? Lunesta (eszopiclone) doesn't work for me nor trazodone any longer. Wondering about seroquel. Thank you.

Dr. Patricia Foster

In brief: Insomnia

Ambien (zolpidem) and similar sleeping meds are not intended for long-term use because of dependence and tolerance.
Insomnia is a symptom with many possible causes. Try to find cause for insomnia. Also look at sleep hygiene and lifestyle factors. Try Melatonin meantime and read: https://sleepfoundation.org/insomnia/content/treatment for more info. I hope this helps

In brief: Insomnia

Dr. Patricia Foster
Dr. Patricia Foster
Dr. Sewa Legha
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Your PCP can help

Your regular doctor needs to be involved in this decision as you have a serious problem which will require long term monitoring and use of sleeping medicines.
Seroquel is not good for sleep. it is a very potent drug reserved for serious mental problems. But there are many other sleeping pills you could be prescribed by a thoughtful primary care physician(PCP).

In brief: Your PCP can help

Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Krishna Kumar

In brief: Insomnia

I understand your desire to have good sleep.
Lack of effectiveness with Ambien, Lunesta (eszopiclone) and Trazadone for long time indicates dependence on Medications. At age 42, stresses of relationships, marriage, separations, parenting, work and finances can cause Insomnia. Become the Captain of your life and sleep, not the victim of insomnia and sleep medications. See a Psychiatrist for Therapy, Relaxation.

In brief: Insomnia

Dr. Krishna Kumar
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Dr. Eric Weisman