A painful white hole on the both sides of my gum on my upper teeth is getting worse and has been there for 5 days. What can I do to get rid of it?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Canker sores?

These may be canker sores for which there is no proven treatment.
Yet my mother's trick in applying table salt to them may possibly hasten the recovery. It may sting a bit at first however. Not knowing the cause, topical antibiotic has also been used for this condition. Canker sores usually resolve in about 10 days or less. However if the problem gets worse, see your dentist. Dental hygiene Ok?

In brief: Canker sores?

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John DeWolf
Dentistry

In brief: What is causing it?

The solution starts with a diagnosis.
Get it evaluated by a dentist asap. Just in case you are placing an aspirin tablet on that area, stop immediately as aspirin only works via digestion and causes severe burns when applied topically.

In brief: What is causing it?

The solution starts with a diagnosis.
Dr. John DeWolf
Dr. John DeWolf
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Find out the cause

May be abscessed tooth, gum disease, canker sore, etc.
See y9ur Dentist. Determine the cause. Then he/she can prescribe appropriate treatment.

In brief: Find out the cause

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Common occurrence

Canker sores are the most common oral lesions.
Individual ulcers typically last 1-2 weeks. Try to keep adequate oral hygiene as possible. If concerned, see your dentist after 10 days or visit today for laser immediate amelioration.

In brief: Common occurrence

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
3 comments
Dr. Susan Rhoads
My grandpa, used to pour salt on the canker sores of his complaining kids. It did not work and hurt a lot, but his kids never whined to him about it again. And they never minded the pain of the canker sore as much, in comparison. Sort of a drastic cure!
Dr. Susan Rhoads
He had some other great points, but those were not passed on nearly as often as the times when he was not so great. A Timely Hint to be way nice at times to make up for the hopefully brief moments when we are jerks as kids, parents and grandparents.
Dr. Marsha Davis