When I go for pap smears will an STD show up if they scrape my vaginal wall for testing? I've never been told I have an STD. Also. My vaginal lips burn like a rash would. Yeast infection?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Pap misses most STDs

The pap smear is designed to detect abnormal cells that can predict future cancer, and these changes are caused by HPV, an STD.
But it does not detect any other STDs; specific STD tests (e.g. gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomonas) need to be requested by the doctor. And yes, vaginal and labial burning often is caused by yeast. (Which of course is not an STD.) Discuss with your doctor. Good luck!

In brief: Pap misses most STDs

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield