I have arthris in my lower back what can I do for it?

Dr. Sheeja Francis
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Therapy
Physical therapy and steroid injections can often help back pain due to degenerative joint disease.
You should discuss these options with your doctor. Also consider seeing a spine specialist for specific recommendations on therapy and helpful procedures.

In brief: Therapy
Dr. Sheeja Francis
Dr. Sheeja Francis
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Some yoga positions can help, and are often part of what Physical Therapists will suggest. Massage can help, too. If it is wear and tear arthritis (osteoarthritis), and you have no contra-indications to it (liver problems), tylenol taken regularly is often the drug of first choice. Just be sure you let your doc know you are taking i tand watch the total dose.
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Diagnosis critical
There don't seem to be many physicians who have skills in diagnosing back disease.
Some rheumatologists and some physiatrists and some orthopedic surgeons.

In brief: Diagnosis critical
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: DJD only?
Check with someone in rheumatology! it could be inflammatory.
If so, you need remitting agents rather than pt or steroid injections. If it is djd, the pain is usually from the facet joints. If you bend forward and have more pain-disc. If you bend backward and have more pain, it is your facet joints! answers in medicine come from speciality: give a man hammer, he looks for a nail! pt helps!

In brief: DJD only?
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey