Hubby has a cold sore. I have a 8wk old baby. Can he still sleep in the same bed with me n help feed baby? Would it hel if he wore a mask?

Dr. Richard Roberts
Clinical Genetics

In brief: "cold sore"?

an ordinary cold sore starts as a vesicle, containing clear fluid.
Most of us have had herpes simplex type I. It is unlikely that he has type II--genital herpes. You likely had type I and passed antibodies to your infant before birth. If he has an ulceration in the mucosa of the mouth without first having a fluid-filled papule, it is not a cold sore, but an aphthous ulcer (non-infectious)

In brief: "cold sore"?

Dr. Richard Roberts
Dr. Richard Roberts
Dr. Richard Roberts
Cold sores are passed to non-immune people by touch and by sneezing, but not by coughing. Meticulous hand-washing (every time after touching lip) and not coughing on baby or kissing, should be sufficient. see http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/cold-sores-topic-overview
Dr. Shontae Buffington