Can a herniated disc cause spinal stenosis?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

Technically, spinal stenosis is defined as a narrowing of the nerve canal and a disc herniation can definitely cause narrowing of the canal.

Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Clint Wilson

In brief: Spinal issues

stenosis is simply another word for "narrowing" of the space.
So it's possible that a herniation (something going into a space it's not supposed to) is causing the narrowing. However herniation is not always the permanent disk problem people always think and this may be a different disc level. I'm not aware of the imaging obviously. Make sure to follow up with your physician to go over the imaging

In brief: Spinal issues

Dr. Clint Wilson
Dr. Clint Wilson
Dr. Eric Weisman