Can open repair surgery be done on bilateral popliteal aneurysm in 1 surgery? medial approach

Dr. Andris Kazmers
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Popliteal aneurysms

Bilateral popliteal aneurysm repairs can be done at the same sitting but I prefer staged procedures as it is easier on the patient and the surgeon.
Get one leg fixed, make sure it's ok then get the other fixed. Alternatively placement of popliteal stents is a viable option that I prefer to popliteal bypass and aneurysm exclusion. Bypass option is still available if it becomes necessary.

In brief: Popliteal aneurysms

Dr. Andris Kazmers
Dr. Andris Kazmers
Dr. Herman Hammerstead
Surgery - Trauma

In brief: Usually Not

Best to do one side at a time and then let you recover from what is not an simple procedure

In brief: Usually Not

Dr. Herman Hammerstead
Dr. Herman Hammerstead

In brief: Consult doctor

Speak to your family doctor will refer you to a specialist , bilateral disease is unusual , due to recent advances may not need open surgery .
You could be a candidate for endo-vascular repair

In brief: Consult doctor

Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery