What is wrong when I have blood in my stool?

Multiple causes. There are multiple reasons to have blood in your stool. It could be from something simple like hemorrhoids or an anal fissure. Colitis, which is inflammation of the colon, can cause rectal bleeding, as can colon polyps or colon cancer, to name just a few. Blood in the stool can be very serious and should prompt a visit to your doctor so they can determine if further evaluation is needed.
Lower GI Bleeding. If your blood is bright red and its after defecation than you may have a hemorrhoidal problem. If you are bleeding is dark red, dark clots, jellylike material, or clots in general, you should go to the nearest emergency department for immediate evaluation of gastrointestinal bleeding.
See doctor. Rectal bleeding is not normal and should always be evaluated. See a colorectal surgeon, who will do a complete evaluatin and examination, and can treat most causes of rectal bleeding.
Maybe hemorr, or not. Bright red blood on stool, in bowl, or on toilet paper is usually anal rectal in source, often hemorrhoidal; but could be other cause, e.g. Inflammation, polyp, tumor, fragile blood vessel. Blood in stool comes from higher up. Maroon blood, or black stool often bleeding from higher up in gut. (black stool also from pepto bismol, (bismuth subsalicylate) iron, charcoal pills) see your doc.