I have a piece of wood stuck between the nail and nail bed of my large toe. Happened river tubing. Used hydro-peroxide to clean. Necessary to remove?

Dr. Joel Sabean
Dermatology

In brief: Remove

Generally best to have the wood removed to prevent an infection or foreign body reaction and allow faster healing and less discomfort.
Hydrogen peroxide often slows up healing. Can use rubbing alcohol or a topical antibiotic to aid healing.

In brief: Remove

Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry

In brief: No toothpick.

Absolutely, I can only see problems as the wood and what ever critters are on it start to react with your defense system. If you are a gambler, then wait.
A little bit of local anesthesia and you are on your way.

In brief: No toothpick.