I was wonderful how does one get an meniscus tear in the knee also my knee is out of place leaning towards the left what causes this to happen?

Dr. David Trettin
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Turning, twisting...

turning, twisting , squatting maneuvers are common mechanisms of injury for meniscus tears.
As we age the meniscus can become more ' brittle' as it loses its water content and ' degenerative' tears are quite common w/ getting in/ out of a a car and other simple mechanisms.Sounds like you have a valgus( 'knock- kneed')knee and is a normal 'variant', esp.in women.Best of Luck!

In brief: Turning, twisting...

Dr. David Trettin
Dr. David Trettin
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine