If I do not have a milk allergy, can I drink whey protein powder shakes?

Yes. Whey is a dairy component so you shouldn't have a problem. Be sure to carefully consider what your goals are for the supplement. Some are high in carbs - others more protein. Always drink LOTS of water to keep up good urine flow to avoid kidney irritation if too much protein in your diet. http://www.webmd.com/diet/protein-shakes.
Yes. In the case of milk allergy, you are allergic to milk protein. This includes both the whey and the casein. It would be safer for you to chose a soy or other alternative protein shake. If you want more protein, you could increase your food intake of non-dairy proteins. Use caution with any protein shake. Consuming more than 60g of protein/day can cause kidney irritation and damage over time.