After beginning treatment for iron deficiency anemia (45mg elemental iron 1x/day), what should follow-up be? A CBC with iron, ferritin? How soon?

Iron deficiency. I would suggest that you get it rechecked in six months.
Depends on goals. set by you and your treating physician. Typically for women, if you have mild iron deficiency anemia due to heavy menstrual bleeding, iron is prescribed just to help replace iron lost monthly. Follow up may be 6 months or you my be monitored clinically. For severe anemia, your doctor may decide to recheck your Hematocrit and other labs in 3 months or sooner. Please follow up with your doctor.
6 months or more. You could wait 6 months to a year to repeat CBC, iron and ferritin. It will take some time to replenish the stores of iron, even after Hemoglobin becomes normal. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low fat milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex.