My bloodtest returned, ast (sgot) = 307 alt (sgpt) = 767 these are 10-20 times the normal values. These values have been elevated for 20 days. Does this mean I have permanent liver damage?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Usually not!

But what is the cause for these increases.
Many viral infections can temporarily do this. Medications, etc. But has the doctor you see narrowed the cause?

In brief: Usually not!

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Erik Suh

In brief: Depends on the cause

It can be temporarily elevated if you drank too much alcohol and mixed it with tylenol (acetaminophen).
I would suggest getting aanother level checked in a week to see if it is going down. Also do a hepatitis panel and u./s of the liver.

In brief: Depends on the cause

Dr. Erik Suh
Dr. Erik Suh
Dr. Marvin Den

In brief: Hepatitis

You have an inflamed liver.The reason may be several things including infection, drugs alcohol .
See your doctor -you need further testing to determine the cause. Once determined, your question can be answered.

In brief: Hepatitis

Dr. Marvin Den
Dr. Marvin Den
Dr. Adam Smith