Dr. Pappas, answered my question re elavil (amitriptyline) not made in us. Several companies make generic in us, can anyone "crawl out on a limb" to say whose is best?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Generic forms

The fda monitors & regulates any pharmaceuticals sold in the usa -- including generics made overseas.
These have to document precise amounts of active ingredients and bioavailability in each pill/capsule. The differences may be in fillers, coloring agents, etc -- & these can have adverse effects in some but not others. Thus, there is no "best" generic Elavil (amitriptyline) (or anything else) for everyone.

In brief: Generic forms

2 comments
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Generics are rated ABC for quality. Your pharmacist will have access to this information. All too many generics are in adequately regulated by the government. At least they got the cows out of the manufacturing areas of some of the Indian companies.Add to that the fact that 50% of the fillers in our country are from China and you can see the potential problems.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Yes, this is true -- and is the point I was trying to make. I've seen people do well with 1 company's generic form (with all its fillers, etc) but then the pharmacy buys a different company's product the next time the prescription is filled, & the patient does worse. Generics are VARIABLE in their effects, and none is across the board "best" for everyone on the planet.
Dr. Bassam Amawi

In brief: As above

I agree with dr. Poppas that many generic r made outside usa , basically it can be similar.

In brief: As above

Dr. Cindy Juster