What are the chances of my wife getting pregnant, she has had the Mirena IUD for the last 6 years and not willing to take it out. What I am looking for her to get pregnant so I am waiting when the IUD looses its effectiveness? Once she gets pregnant with

Dr. Carline Louis-Jacques

In brief: Pregnancy with IUD

Sounds like you both are not on the same page.
I recommend that you see a marriage counselor to resolve this because no matter what happens one of you will resent the other (more). Pregnancy can happen after 5 years but sometimes the presence of the IUD, no matter how old, can prevent pregnancy. If she were to conceive, IUD removal can cause a miscarriage.

In brief: Pregnancy with IUD

Dr. Carline Louis-Jacques
Dr. Carline Louis-Jacques
Dr. Kathryn Leenhouts
Also the presence of the IUD can raise the risk of ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the uterus usually on the tube) - a very dangerous condition. I agree with the above advice. This is nothing to play around with. Best of luck.
Dr. Patrick Mckenna
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Unlikely

So long as the IUD is in place there is very low likelihood of getting pregnant.
The mirena (levonorgestrel) IUD only releases hormone for 5 years, but even after that it acts as a physical barrier to conception. If conception does occur with the IUD in place, this is a potentially high risk pregnancy that will need to be managed very closely. If you and your wife want to get pregnant, go to Dr. for IUD removal

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Patrick Mckenna
Dr. Patrick Mckenna
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham