If patient had total colectomy with Ileostomy placement, can they have a surgical procedure involving ileum to sigmoid/left colon several yrs later.

YES. if one performs a left colectomy, even extending the dissection below peritoneal reflection, as long as there is a rectal stump, 1-2 cm above the levators, proximal bowel can be reanastomosed. One can creates a pouch from the proximal bowel to make anastomosis easier and have the pouch act as a partial reservoir for the liquid feces in the ileum that will be used for anastomosis.