In reference to a laparoscopic hysterectomy for endometriosis issues, would it be better to keep one ovary, if possible?

Dr. Douglas Lawson

In brief: Depends on age

Leaving one ovary means you will likely still have pain in 6-12 months post op, though you won't have periods and doing the hyst and one side debulks the endometriosis.
Over age 40 I suggest both sides come out. Over 35 I tend to make all of mine aware of the recurrence of pain. Under 35 there is some benefit to keeping an ovary for prevention though 50% fail in 2 years and you get menopause.

In brief: Depends on age

Dr. Douglas Lawson
Dr. Douglas Lawson
Dr. Jane Van Dis