If bilirubin is raised with long term raised ALT, does that mean liver cirrhosis has started? Rest of liver panel normal but raised neutrophils.Thanks

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Elevated bilirubin

An elevated bilirubin does not necessarily signify cirrhosis, but it does raise concern for how well your liver is doing.
If you have had elevated ALT long-term, perhaps you've had an evaluation of your liver to determine what's wrong. If you have not, this new development certainly would make that imperative. I would return to your liver doctor for further evaluation. Good luck.

In brief: Elevated bilirubin

Dr. Adam Smith