I sprained my ankle 12 days ago and still have bruising and swelling. I am walking on it but its' still stiff and painful. Is this normal?

Highly variable time. Foot and toe swelling after a significant ankle sprain lingers until the ankle swelling diminishes, since it is in part due simply to the limited outflow capabilities of normal capacity. This is from the "blockage" of outflow and compression of the exiting pathways by the swollen and pressurized tissues around the ankle. Early icing, elevation, and compression will help the ankle swelling.