Should I be worried about my 14 year old daughter going to boarding school if she has escalated anxiety and depression and has body image problems?

Dr. Patricia Foster

In brief: Some thoughts

You're right to be concerned about your daughter. Without an assessment by a mental health professional in conjunction with the pediatrician, you have no way to know if your daughter needs treatment or is at risk emotionally being away from home.
If she had increasing stomach pain or fever, you'd take her to doctor. I hope you get guidance on what's best for your daughter's emotional health.

In brief: Some thoughts

Dr. Patricia Foster
Dr. Patricia Foster
Dr. Stephen Southard

In brief: Glad to hear your

Concerned. Have you at least brought your concerns up with your daughter. If you're not comfortable with this or your daughter isn't receptive, you may want to reach out to her pediatrician.
It sounds like she may even have a psychiatrist involved in her care based on what you mentioned, this is another good point of contact. There are multiple hotlines like 1800551800 that can help her too.

In brief: Glad to hear your

Dr. Stephen Southard
Dr. Stephen Southard
Dr. Christine Musello
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Leaving Home

...is not for all teenagers, but you won't know if boarding school hurts or helps your daughter's condition until she tries it.
If she WANTS to try boarding, then be supportive. As parents, we want to raise strong kids to make decisions based on what they want,not on their fears.Being a teengirl in our culture is challenging.If she WANTS the challenge of boarding,worry in private but cheer her on!

In brief: Leaving Home

Dr. Christine Musello
Dr. Christine Musello
Dr. Susan Rhoads
However, boarding schools are often not all they are cracked up to be. The staff can discourage contact with parents and other children can discourage that as well. Supervision is often not what any of us would like. Be sure, if she goes, that you visit her often. What the brochures promise, is not the reality. Also, there is no real way to assess the truth about what happens at private schools
Dr. Adam Levy