Stress fracture- 3rd metatarsal- still not healed after 13 weeks boot, crutches. Specialist? (is surgery necessary?) or a cast to further immobilize?

In brief: Specialist

stress fractures are still fractures and need 6-8 weeks to heal.
If you are still having pain then the reason for it happening needs to be looked into. Stress fractures can be recurring as it is from a response to too much force in an area not meant for that pressure. They typically do not go on to outright fracture and do not need surgery. See a foot specialist too clarify why it's still there

In brief: Specialist

2 comments
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
I suggest asking your doctor if there are any underlying causes for poor healing. Overweight & obesity, poor circulation, insufficient intake of calcium & vitamin D, generalized bone loss (like osteoporosis) can contribute to difficult healing of fractures.
Dr. Arnold Beresh
If it is not healed then an MRI may be needed or possibly a bone stimulator to help progress the healing
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry

In brief: It's still a fracure

I am of the belief that if you put two pieces of metatarsal in the same room, they will heal.
It is the same for stress fractures. There are factors that come into play as to the speed of healing. The one factor that seems to come into play most is compliance with the prescribed fracture care. Only the patient knows if they were being totally focused on following instructions or were a bit lax.

In brief: It's still a fracure

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine