I currently have a wisdom tooth that is growing and it is swelling the gum area. I am unable to open my mouth all the way. Is this normal?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Normal?

While this is fairly common, pain and swelling are not "normal.
" Would be best to have your wisdom teeth evaluated by a specialist Oral Surgeon to determine if treatment is required, and to provide you with help to make you feel better.

In brief: Normal?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

The discomfort and swelling associated with a problematic wisdom tooth often limits your range of motion and opening due to the discomfort.

Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Wisdom teeth

Sometimes wisdom teeth are valuable asset when healthy and properly aligned, but more often, they are misaligned and require removal.
The removal of wisdom teeth is one of the most common procedures at ages 15-24. See your dentist for evaluation and x-rays.

In brief: Wisdom teeth

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: It's normal...

... for you to have these symptoms for erupting wisdom teeth where there is no room. Consult with an oral surgeon regarding extractions.

In brief: It's normal...

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Marsha Davis