I got stung by a yellow jacket 6 days ago on my lower ankle and my leg is swelled up to my knee and is very ichy and red. There is also a bruise about 4 inches around the sting on all sides. I been icing all day and night but the swelling hasn't gotten be

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Angioedema

You have allergic reaction to yellow jacket bite.
It caused Angioedema and itching. It has been six days and swelling is still there.Stinger may be still there if it was honeybee.You can take over the counter Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for itching&consult your doctorYou will need rx and advice for future stings if it ever happens as it can give you bad reaction.You will need epipen to prevent acute reaction/Breath

In brief: Angioedema

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
2 comments
Dr. Cynthia Archer
Hornets and yellow jackets don't lose their stingers. They can sting multiple times, however if you killed the insect or if it was a bee, then the stinger might still be present. If it is, you could have a secondary infection as well as allergic reaction. You need to be seen be a doctor locally for an assessment.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Thank you Dr Archer.You are right Yellow Jackets,Hornets and male wasps and male bees do not have stinger.Only female bees and wasps have stingers.But male bees a stay in the hive and mate with Queen Bee.Male wasps also do not sting Thanks for the correction
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: An antihistamine is

in order. Considering your describing sounds severe I would see a doc as they may want to put u on oral steroids.
Also, I don't believe a bee bite would cause a person to have a clot in the leg, but anytime there is swelling in the calf region, I feather be safe than sorry and rule it out.

In brief: An antihistamine is

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Steven Seres