Could a blood sugar level of 104 fasting cause diabetic neuropathy? My legs are dry, shrinking and feel weak. I'm walking slower than normal.

Dr. Danny Benmoshe
Neurology

In brief: Unlikely

In order to be diagnosed with diabetes, you have to show abnormalities in one of several ways: fasting glucose over 100 mg/dl, or HgA1c over 6.
5% at two separate testing, or a random glucose test > 200 mg/dl. Therefore I would consider the level of 104 fasting mildly abnormal and unless it was elevated at other times in the past, that level by itself is unlikely to cause a true neuropathy.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Danny Benmoshe
Dr. Danny Benmoshe
Dr. Vikram Patel