Is there an alternative to percocet for bowel obstruction pain?

Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Pain Management

In brief: Pain Treatment

A true bowel obstruction is potentially a medical emergency and needs to evaluated as such.
Opioids can slow down your gastrointestinal motility and may actually worsen a known obstruction.

In brief: Pain Treatment

Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Dr. Martin Schaeffer
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: Fix it

Can your obstruction be fixed? If so, that is the best cure for pain.
Percocet should NEVER be used as a treatment of obstruction ,,,, it will most likely make things worse. The only exception would be if you are in a hospice or palliative situation. If so, talk to your hospice MD for stronger meds

In brief: Fix it

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

I presume you me post operative pain after a bowel obstruction as Percocet is not a treatment for a bowel obstruction.
There are many other possible pain medications. You should discuss this with your treating physician.

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Sidney Vinson
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
And you should only need narcotics for only a week or so post-op. Talk to your Surgeon if the pain isn't getting progressively better.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Don't use opioids

Opioids are relatively contraindicated in bowel obstruction.

In brief: Don't use opioids

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
any narcotic will further slow down bowel motility, making the obstruction worse. Go to ER for immediate attention.
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery