I sometimes feel pain behind my sternum it also radiates around to my back but only when I smoke. I do a lot of running too and never have any pain?

Dr. Nassir Azimi
Clinical Lipidology
In brief: Stop smoking
I always tell my patients to quit smoking.
It is the single best thing you can do for your health. Your body is telling you to quit.

In brief: Stop smoking
Dr. Nassir Azimi
Dr. Nassir Azimi
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Many possibilities
Most likely is not cardiac in origen but i would order a chest x-ray to see the mediastinum for increased wideness b/o thoracic aneurysms are difficult to find until everything is too late.
The relationship of smoking causing the pain could be vasoconstriction or even bronchoconstriction. That the pain is substernal may suggest costochondritis ( sort of arthritis).Try antiinflamatories. Others...

In brief: Many possibilities
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology