After I run or excercise outside (usually in cold weather) I get a sharp pain in my inner ear. Is this common and can I stop it?

Dr. Marc Rosenthal
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: TMJ?

This sounds like TMJ and bruxism. It is common.
Avoid chewing gum and clenching your teeth. Soft diet and Motrin can help. Place a cotton ball in your ear when running.

In brief: TMJ?

Dr. Marc Rosenthal
Dr. Marc Rosenthal
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Probably not ear

It is far more likely that the pain you are having is coming from your jaw, not your ear.
You may clenching or grinding your jaw and teeth due to the cold and this can cause pain around your ear in the jaw area. Pay attention to your jaw muscles the next time you run and consciously try to relax them. The first step is awareness.

In brief: Probably not ear

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
you are welcome!
Dr. Vikram Patel