I have a Lipoma on my back. It's not bothering me but I love having massages on my back. Is it harmful if it is massaged? Will it risk it to growing?

Dr. Maria Palafox
Breast Surgery

In brief: No

A lipoma is not harmful; they do not have the potential for harm, either; in other words, don't turn into cancer.
They can grow to a substantial size, but massaging them will not cause this--they will grow through no fault of yours if they feel like it

In brief: No

Dr. Myron Arlen
While the majority of lipomas do not convert, there are occasional reports of such transformation. Since palpation of a fatty tumor is not diagnostic, one that suddenly enlarges or reaches 10cm. must be bx to rule out malignancy which would not benefit by massaging.
Dr. Mark Pack
Surgery

In brief: Not harmful

Lipomas are abnormal fatty tissue.
They can cause pain. It is not harmful to have a massage when you have a lipoma. Lipomas can get larger but massage will have no effect on stimulating it to get larger.

In brief: Not harmful

Lipomas are abnormal fatty tissue.
Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: No damage

While lipomas are the most common benign soft tissue lesions, the occasional one found to grow to about 10 cm. should be removed for potential malignant transformation.
Those that are multiple in many patients do not develop complications when encountering minor trauma such as massage to an area they are present in. If pain would ensue then the massage would be discontinued.

In brief: No damage

Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery