I keep hearing nightmares about whole head radiation therapy is it that bad for you for small cell lung cancer of the brain?

Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Its often therapy

Small cell lung cancer often recurs in the brain, radiation therapy before this occurs lowers the risk and improves survival.

In brief: Its often therapy

Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Cliff Robinson
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Life saving

There is a lot of fear about whole brain radiation, whether for treatment of mets or prevention (prophylactic cranial irradiation) which is largely unfounded.
Temporary side effects are fatigue, hair loss, and skin redness. There is little risk of dementia contrary to popular belief. There is a small risk of short term memory effects. Not treating will guarantee severe problems from the tumor.

In brief: Life saving

Dr. Cliff Robinson
Dr. Cliff Robinson
2 comments
There is actually talk of curing small-cell, formerly uniformly fatal. I can also promise any problems with short-term memory will be much worse than the godawful experience of rapidly-growing small-cell metastases in the brain. Go for it. I'll be thinking of you.
Sorry.... I meant "much LESS BAD"..... But I'm excited that there's hope today that small-cell may actually be curable.
Dr. Nathan Pennell
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Not too bad

Brain radiation is the best treatment available for sclc that has spread to the brain.
There is some risk of memory issues, but studies have clearly shown that the risk from the cancer is much higher than risk of side effects from the radiation. Common side effects are fatigue, hair loss, and altered taste.

In brief: Not too bad

Dr. Nathan Pennell
Dr. Nathan Pennell
Dr. Gregg Friedman
Gregg L. Friedman MD Psychiatrist agrees.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology