My doctor just switched me to cymbalta (duloxetine) and I read it could cause damage to your liver. I have NASID-non alcoholic fatty liver. Should I take this.

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Very common

Most of the antidepressants including cymbalta (duloxetine) are metabolized in liver. Liver function tests help determine the health of your liver with cymbalta (duloxetine).
It’s essential that you always ask your doctors why they are ordering a specific medication.

In brief: Very common

Dr. Akbar Zikria

In brief: Yes...

I imagine your doctor thought this was an optimal medication for you and knew about your fatty liver disease as well.
I don't know your actual lab results but I'm guessing your enzymes were mildly elevated as is the case for most fatty livers. With that said, most medications that can cause liver enzyme elevation are well tolerated and slight elevation in liver enzymes is acceptable

In brief: Yes...

Dr. Jeffrey Juchau

In brief: Cymbalta (duloxetine)

if you have not already had this discussion with your doctor than have it.
Generally if your liver functions are normal and fatty liver has been discovered as an incidental radiological finding then in my practice I would prescribe it. However, this is a decision between you and your doctor and perhaps your gastroenterologist .

In brief: Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Dr. Eric Weisman