Can levothyroxine be taken in place of methimazole for Graves disease?

Thyroid meds. No it cannot - Grave's disease is actually worsened by the use of Levothyroxine. Grave's disease consists of hyperthyroidism due to antibodies that cause receptors in the thyroid to increase production of natural levothyroxine in the body. Therefore if you take oral Levothyroxine - the symptoms will be worse. Methimazole - blocks the synthesis of the excess levothyroxine.
No. Levothyroxine will make your Grave's disease worse by adding more thyroid hormone to an already excessive thyroid. Treatment will be preferably methimazole or propylthiuracil. Though treatment results in thyroid ablation then Levothyroxine may be given.