I am a 25 y/o f, off Yaz (drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol) 5 months ago, labs show testosterone <20. Exp fatigue, weight gain, no libido, irritable. Dr says level is normal. 2nd opinion ?

Dr. K. Olson

In brief: Another opinion

The measure that really matters is the free testosterone.
Often this is not the reference value. It is altered by the amount of sex-binding hormone(protein) available. 20 in most labs would be low. Classic symptoms are: diminished libido, lack of vitality, inability to build muscle mass with exercise, depression, and decline in memory. Consider bio-identical hormone replacement.

In brief: Another opinion

Dr. K. Olson
Dr. K. Olson
Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Agree

Testosterone level is normal.
Hypothyroidism, depression, anemia are among some possible causes of your symptoms.

In brief: Agree

Testosterone level is normal.
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology

In brief: Low

Yaz (drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol) can bind up free testosterone by increasing sex hormone binding.
Yet, this total t is low to me. Remember, lab values represent the 95% confidence interval (or bell curve). To be abnormal, you have to reach a low that less than 2.5% of people would have in that lab's population of values. You are better off near the middle & for most women & their libido, near the top of the normal range.

In brief: Low

Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Jane Van Dis