A CT did not show the presence of cancer but a PET scan with contrast did. Why is this when they were looking for cancer within the pancreas?

Dr. Paul Dorio
Radiology

In brief: Complementary

CT and PET are complementary and are usually used in conjunction with each other. Not uncommonly, a finding on a CT or on a PET will not be seen on the other study.
Sometimes, I am asked to biopsy something only seen on PET that I have to guesstimate on the CT scan - using anatomic landmarks - because it is not visible on the CT. That's the challenge of imaging and why your radiologist is valuable

In brief: Complementary

Dr. Paul Dorio
Dr. Paul Dorio
Dr. Eric Weisman