I had a baby 2 weeks & 4 days ago. PCP thinks I may have lyme disease & gave me Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) 875mg for infection. Is it safe to breastfeed?

Dr. Jeffrey Juchau

it is safe.

it is safe.
Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Dr. Jane Lykins

However, it is best to avoid ANY medication in breastfeeding unless they are necessary. Hopefully your PCP is pretty certain about his/her diagnosis! I also recommend taking it right as you are finishing nursing so that it is at a lower concentration in your blood stream by your next feeding. And take probiotics while on antibiotics. Good luck!

Dr. Jane Lykins
Dr. Jane Lykins
Dr. Jessica Allan

In brief: Safe

Drug details for Augmenting reveal probably safe.

In brief: Safe

Dr. Jessica Allan
Dr. Jessica Allan
Dr. Jane Van Dis