My mother has lost her right big toe to gangrene due to diabetic foot. It has spread to remaining 4 toes all gone black. Can we avoid amputation?

Dr. Jeffery Dormu
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Poor Circulation

Your Mom should see a Vascular Surgeon immediately to have her circulation evaluated.
Many Vascular Surgeons practice limb salvage and can help you to determine whether or not you have any other options.

In brief: Poor Circulation

In brief: VASCULAR CONSULT

Probably not, but a vascular surgeon should be part of the team, to see if some type of procedure will increase blood flow to the foot.
If she smokes, stop immediately!

In brief: VASCULAR CONSULT

If she smokes, stop immediately!
Dr. Julian Raffoul
General Practice

In brief: Unlikely

Diabetic foot amputations due to gangrene underscore a much bigger problem: POOR CONTROL OF DIABETES! If her gangrene has spread, amputation is a life-saving operation and must be performed! Please help your mother obtain the necessary diabetic education, medication and supplies to ensure better control of her blood sugar.
.. you will save her life! Please consult me if additional help is needed.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery