I have a bug bite on my elbow and 4 days later there is a large purple ring around a small red dot. It is tender to the touch no fever. S/b concerned?

Dr. Chad Rudnick

In brief: Skin infection

The bump you describe is likely an abscess, an infection caused once the skin barrier was compromised from the insect bite.
It should be evaluated by a physician to determine the appropriate course of treatment. A healthtap prime or concierge consult may also suffice.

In brief: Skin infection

Dr. Chad Rudnick
Dr. Chad Rudnick
Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: Possible infection

The fact this is hot to touch is concerning to me.
Any time a bite breaks the skin, the staph and strep that colonize our skin can set up a little skin infection. We may be able to get mire details and help in a Prime visit.

In brief: Possible infection

Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine