I am 17 years old and I go to the gym frequently and was wondering if creatine was bad for you because I have been taking it for 3 months?

Dr. Jalal Zuberi

In brief: Use moderately

Creatine, as an added protein source to help build muscle, is generally safe in moderate amounts over a limited period of time, 3-6 months.
It is a good idea to get blood tests for liver and kidneys to make sure you are tolerate it well.

In brief: Use moderately

Dr. Jalal Zuberi
Dr. Jalal Zuberi
Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: Creatine.

Creatine in doses of 1000 to 5000mg daily has been shown to increase muscle mass, muscle size and muscle energy stores.
Creatine must be taken with lots of water throughout the day, and doses must not exceed 5000mg daily to avoid impairment of kidney function. The dose can be taken all at once, preferably after exercise to facilitate ATP store replenishment in the muscles after exercise.

In brief: Creatine.

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine