What supplements can I eat to promote hair growth?

Biotin & Zinc. There are many supplements that touted to promote hair growth. However, most have not been shown to do what they are claiming. Fortunately, there are a couple supplements that do appear to make a difference. Taking biotin (a B vitamin) in doses from 3,000 - 5,000 mcg daily and Zinc 25 - 50mg daily can, over time, improve the growth rate, thickness and strength of your hair and nails.
None are effective. There are no vitamins, herbs, supplements, nor foods that are proven to slow hair loss or improve hair growth. Maintaining a balanced diet of healthy foods, and taking one multivitamin + minerals tablet each day, should keep a person in normal, good nutritional status... so her scalp and hair should be as healthy as they can be. A doctor can evaluate unusual hair loss for hormonal problems, etc...
SUPPLEMENTS HAIR. AS FAR AS WE KNOW, THERE ARE NO SUPPLEMENTS TO PROMOTE HAIR GROWTH. HOWEVER, I DO TELL MY PATIENTS TO TAKE BIOTIN FIVE MILLIGRAMS DAILY ALONG WITH VITAMIN D. BEFORE YOU TRY THIS, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR PCP FOR WHAT DOSAGE HE OR SHE MIGHT RECOMMEND. I HAVE NO FINACIAL INTEREST IN EITHER OF THESE PRODUCTS. GOOD LUCK.