If your patient refuses psychotherapy would you prescribe him antidepressants for mild depression?

Agree w Dr Gaffney. Medications are not always the answer. Cognitive Behavioral therapy or psychotherapy can be effective. However there are other options. Aim for daily exercise, 8 hours of sleep per night & good nutrition w 5 servings of veggies & 4 of fruit per day. Try tai chi, yoga, Qi Gong, progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing exercises & meditation. Don't isolate - spend time w friends & stay active.
Not necessarily. Really depends on the patients history, risk factors, supportive mechanisms and many other factors. While medicine can be very helpful - quite a few studies have shown that the combination of medicine and psychotherapy is of greater benefit. Hope that helps!