Is it normal after a long work day to sleep 10-12+ hrs? How do you know if you reached the point of exhaustion?

Dr. Donald Gieck
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Exhaustion and sleep

Not unusual to want to sleep more after an exhausting and stressful day.
Just be aware that allowing this type of sleep behavior too often can actually cause more fatigue and disrupt your overall sleep. For optimal results try to make sure that you get about the same amount of sleep but enough to to feel rested. I have added more info on burnout and exhaustion in the comments section.

In brief: Exhaustion and sleep

Dr. Donald Gieck
Dr. Donald Gieck
Dr. Donald Gieck
Key indicators of exhaustion: ongoing feeling of fatigue, difficult getting started with necessary daily activities that may involve work, family, and self care, loss of interest in typically enjoyable activities, and isolation. Also a primary risk factor for job burnout is increased effort and production without corresponding output.
Dr. Buck Parker