Having an abdominal ultrasound, recheck for chronic pain. nothing allowed after midnight sjogrens makes my mouth very dry. Why can't I drink water?

Dr. Jin Park
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Gas = bad ultrasound

The reason why you are asked to not eat or drink anything many hours before an ultrasound is bowel gas.
When you eat or drink you also swallow air which ends up in your stomach and bowel. Ultrasound cannot penetrate through air and many abdominal organs will not be visualized on the exam rendering it technically difficult. Good luck.

In brief: Gas = bad ultrasound

Dr. Patrick Kohlitz

In brief: Ultrasound

The rationale for having an empty stomach and bowels it too get the best possible picture with ultrasound technology.
It is common for the ordering physician to allow the patient to chew on ice chips to combat dry mouth before a procedure.

In brief: Ultrasound

Dr. Vikram Patel