Been bittern by something this afternoon, two clear bite marks. Just by elbow on the inside. Is swelling up and feels hard to the touch?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

Take a benadryl (diphenhydramine) and if it is still not beginning to improve in 15 min, go to urgent Care or call your Dr. Not knowing the culprit makes it hard to pllan other than for being safer than sorry.
On that note - consider Urgent Care immediately! Just in case - and allergic reactions matter too!

In brief: Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: Relax

What you have is annoying but not serious.
"Urgent care" may be very expensive. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is also used as a sleeping pill: beware. Zyrtec, sometimes 2 instead of 1, is better. But it will take much longer than 15 min to obtain relief from any antihistamine. You assume an insect envenomization but you cannot be sure. See what it does over next 2 days, then see DR if worse.

In brief: Relax

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Generally I tend to be reassuring too. I can't deny that my own allergic reactions that have led to near-death from insect bites motivated me. I expect you are right for most all people.