What is the common ingredient besides alcohol of wine, beer, cider and some whiskey? When I drink one of them my nasal mucosa and sinuses are very swollen. I have also polyps in all sinuses. A year ago I could drink these drinks without any symptoms.

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: There isn't anything

common to ALL these beverages besides alcohol.
Sounds to me like you are drinking too much, especially for someone your age. Alcohol is far more harmful, particularly in excess, to young people whose brains have not yet completely matured, and is more likely to cause damage. Your symptoms suggest allergic polyposis, which is worsened by aspirin, NSAIDs and sometimes alcohol. Talk to your doctor.

In brief: There isn't anything

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Nancy Ferguson

In brief: Sulfite Sensitivity

Sulfite sensitivity can develop by people.
Beer, wine and cider may contain sulfites. Whiskey does not, but the mixers used to make mixed drinks may contain sulfites, especially drinks with dry citrus, such as sour mixers. Reactions can range from mild nasal/sinus reactions to more severe including wheezing and difficulty breathing.

In brief: Sulfite Sensitivity

Dr. Nancy Ferguson
Dr. Nancy Ferguson
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
While it's hard to say why you started having those symptoms just in the past year, alcohol can also dilate the superficial blood vessels, something that, in addition to sulfite sensitivity, could contribute to your symptoms.
Dr. Richard Zimon

In brief: TANNIN

TANNIN Is a possibility Hope this helps Dr Z

In brief: TANNIN

Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Richard Zimon
Dr. Vicken Poochikian