How can you relieve the pressure from a facial fracture? Going to ENT friday but the pressure has my bf lips/teeth numb. Thanks.

Dr. John Hoffmann
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Numbness common

Facial or tooth numbness is common with facial bone fractures.
This is because the nerves pass through the cheek and jaw bones and may be injured. Fortunately this numbness will go away in most people. If you need surgery to fix the fractures that may delay the return of normal feeling. Permanent numbness can occur but is uncommon.

In brief: Numbness common

Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Nerve injury

I'm not sure what is meant by pressure? If you have a facial fracture.
.. And you are feeling "pressure" it may be because you have nerve injury and it is providing abnormal sensations. Ent eval is good first step. Make sure you bring any scans with you to the appointment... Otherwise you will be delaying treatment.

In brief: Nerve injury

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. David May
Dentistry

In brief: May not be possible

If both the lip and teeth are numb, the fracture may have compromised the nerve that runs to them. If that is the case the fracture will have to be set in the right place to relieve the pressure that may be causing the numbness.

In brief: May not be possible

Dr. David May
Dr. David May
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine