I have some questions about anxiety and panic attacks. 2 years ago my PC told me that she thought I had anxiety. The "attacks" I have seem to me to be too severe and frequent. I have a log to share?

Dr. Susan Duenke
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Panic can be severe.

Anxiety and panic attacks can be quite severe and encompass a long list of symptoms.
Panic frequently sends patients to the ER with fear of heart attack.

In brief: Panic can be severe.

Dr. Susan Duenke
Dr. Susan Duenke
Dr. Amanda Ruiz

In brief: Panic attacks

Hi Stephanie, If your PCP has ruled out major medical issues, & your "panic attacks" come out of the blue, more than once a week, and keep you from engaging in your typical daily activities, panic disorder could be the culprit.
If baseline or chronic anxiety is keeping you from your daily activities, I would consider starting treatment. Anxiety is a horrible way to feel. Best of luck!

In brief: Panic attacks

Dr. Amanda Ruiz
Dr. Amanda Ruiz
Dr. Stephen Kibrick
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Panic attacks

Panic attacks can be very severe, often creating feelings that one is dying or having a heart attack.
Check your log to see if they follow a pattern, or if certain events or people trigger them. Consider CBT psychotherapy from an experienced psychologist. You could be feeling better with more control over attacks in a few weeks. There are also meds (xanax) that can be helpful. Good luck!

In brief: Panic attacks

Dr. Stephen Kibrick
Dr. Stephen Kibrick
Dr. Umesh Patel

In brief: Anxiety & Depres

Anxiety and depression are treated with SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Release Inhibitors)e.
g. Celexa, Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro, etc, together with anxiolytics e.g. Valium, Ativan, Xanax, (alprazolam) etc. The effects of the drugs vary, so the type and quantity of drug needs to be adjusted. Adding Omega Fish oils (www.cardiamin.com, use code CMC for a discount), Magnesium and Vitamin D supplementation helps.

In brief: Anxiety & Depres

Dr. Umesh Patel
Dr. Umesh Patel
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Therapy?

Have you yet tried any form of psychotherapy? Typically, the optimal combination of things to treat emotional issues such as anxiety or depression is medication (which, on your best day, is supposed to take the edge off symptoms) but the real gruntwork takes place in psychotherapist's consulting room.

In brief: Therapy?

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Steven Griggs
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Having ruled out

physical causes, the next phase is starting therapy.
Anxiety stems from feeling you can't manage or control something--internal or external--and then having some version of a flight or fight reaction. Yours sound severe so meds will help stabilize you until you understand more about your condition. Here's a psychological reference: http://www.psychologyproductsandservices.com/page2.html

In brief: Having ruled out

Dr. Steven Griggs
Dr. Steven Griggs
Dr. Eric Weisman