If a colon needs to be removed because of colon cancer are their alternatives to a external bag?

Bag is rarely needed. Colostomy (external bag) is rarely needed for elective cancer surgery. It is more frequently used if the cancer is located very close to the anus, Also, a temporary colostomy may be used for emergency surgery when cancer is obstructing colon completely and the bowel cannot be cleaned prior to the surgery.
No. If the distal colon is removed with the anal canal and sphincters, the proximal remaining bowel is brought out as a colostomy. At one time there was an attempt to bring the proximal bowel out thru a weak or non functional anal sphincter. The bowel brought out as such had no control and patient had to wear a diaper at all times. The colostomy can be irrigated to eliminate need for a bag.